So Friday around 2 we left for Coatzacoalcos, Efra, Kristian, Ale, and I. Took us about 6 or 7 hours to get there. Puebla is in the mountains so to drive to Coatza, which is on the coast, we had to go through the mountains, meaning lots of fog and lots of curves. We hit some traffic due to construction along the way and it was funny because some people figured out there were so many cars just stopped in this area that they have started going there and walking between the cars selling stuff. I say all that to point out the hilarity of the fact that there were guys selling cookies, chips, sweets, phone chargers, AND PUPPIES!!! Hahaha..yes...puppies!!! There was a little white fluffy one that was sooo ocute! I thought it was just toooo funny. Too bad I didn't manage to take a picture. We got to Coatza and waited for Leslie to get out of her meeting and then we all went to eat. She was gonna take us to a taco place but forgot exactly how to get there. It was bad because Efra was super hungry and when he's hungry he gets cranky super easy since he gets really impatient with his foood. So Leslie is just having him drive around basically trying to find the place and it was so frustrating we ended up just going to another place. We then went and walked a little down the "malecon" which is basically the seawall or levee. Then we stopped in at a place called Cocobeers and chilled a lil bit. Then to go home and SLEEP!!! I was so tired LOL.
Saturday we went in service a few hours. It's so hot there in Coatza year-round that their group meets at 8:30. The brothers don't have to wear ties, also due to the heat. I mean seriously, it's November and it was in the 70s and 80s! We were walking around in shorts and tank tops (not in service of course). After service we went to the mall since it was the "Buen Fin". The stores decided that due to the holiday Nov 20 (the revolution) they would make a big sale this weekend. We had lunch and shopped a little. I bought some jeans since most of mine are all baggy on the but now and it's a bit annoying. Feel like everything looks sloppy. Then we went home and changed since they have the meeting Saturday nights at 7. I enjoyed the meeting. The brother who gave the talk was from that congregation, a young brother. He was very animated and used some cups of water to illustrate the inability to see poison and how for that reason we should be very careful to remain clean from the world we live in. Then the watchtower was an excellent article, so I enjoyed it a lot. After the meeting we went to eat with some brothers at an arrachera taco place, the one that Leslie had been looking for the night before! Haha. We were so close, we just turned the wrong way on a street. We stayed there til like 11 or 11:30 so needless to say I was a bit beat.
Sunday we got up and dressed then went to the beach!!! It was cool. I could enjoy it more because this time I remembered to put on sunscreen! We went to a place, parked, and the guys took us on a boat, "lancha", to cross the river and go to a place called Jicacal. There we had a little palm-leaf roofed shade thingy with a table and chairs (imagine a hut without walls with palm-leaves as shingles and hammock hung between the posts). Right there was a restaurant which serves fresh seafood and you just order when you're ready. Service literally right on the beach. The beach had the same kind of sand as Galveston--dark, but it wasn't as dirty. They don't have the red seaweed nor the jellyfish. There weren't as many little shells either, which I thought was interesting. It was so nice to be at the beach again. Made me remember lots of times spent with my daddyo in Galveston. The little birds with their tiny legs that move so quickly across the sand chasing crabs and whatnot. I remember dad talking about how some girls have those kind of legs, with the sound effect with the fingers moving to imitate it. I went walking down the beach, admittedly by myself(sorry mom), but it was cool. It was nice to have some relaxation/meditation time, to just soak in the beach and the sound of the waves. Reminded me of dad telling me about the negative ions released in the air by the crashing waves, which relaxes us. For those of you who don't believe it, here is a link: http://www.firstscience.com/home/articles/nature/what-s-in-a-breath-of-fresh-air_21080.html. I found a nice spot further down the beach from where we were at that had a view of the mountains in the back and some cliffs off in the distance, right next to the ocean. It was georgeous! Too bad I didn't take my camera....on that trip! Haha. By that point I was of course in my swimsuit(well, the one I borrowed from Jeanette) and nobody was around. It was good though cuz I got to run down the beach in my swimsuit without anyone to look at me. Hahaha...secret baywatch run! LOL! I got a little scared at one point though because I started getting a migraine while I was running, like a sudden sting. I was afraid I was gonna faint or something. YIKES! I was ok though. On that first excursion/walk I also found several intact sand dollars(the dead ones). I had never before found so many intact! I'm not one to go walking down the beach in search of shells, but I started looking for those! So cliche I know. Then I got back to the little hut thingy but wanted to keep walking, just in the other direction now. Efra offered to go with me and it was nice. I found where the inlet to the river/lake is and there were a bunch of rocks. Of course I climbed them and got to take some great pictures. Then we went back, sat a little, then decided to go in the other direction so I could go back and take pictures of the mountain/cliffs. Got some nice ones. By the time we got back it was like 2 or 3 and Leslie's family had arrived and everyone was eating. I think it's so weird how when I go to the beach I don't get as hungry. On the walk back I got to craving an "elote" or corn cob but was sad because I didn't think I'd be able to get any there. With all the people who walk around and sell stuff to the people in the little "huts", including fresh coconuts, horse rides, jewelry, dresses, ice cream, oysters--one lady was selling corns!!! YAYY!!! Got some and chowed down. Then I ate some fish called "mojarra" that the sister offered me. They had ordered some and offered to me, which I thought was very nice. Nothing like fresh seafood. After eating I was about walked-out plus I was kinda tired, so I just kinda chilled a little bit under the hut thing and talked with the sister and her husband. Once everyone was ready to go we went back to the boat dock and the same people took us back. On the way they gave us a little tour of the lake area. There were red crabs wild, even though we didn't see any. They also showed us some areas where they grow fish and crabs and stuff to sell. It was right about dusk at that point so I got some more cool pictures. On the way home we stopped at a place I'd been wanting to try after they told me about it. It sells crepes and "marquesitas" which they described to me as crispy crepes. It was a little bitty place but the line was so long! The guy is pretty popular it seems! I got a marquesita with nutella and banana. Imagine a circular very thin waffle cone with the nutella and banana spread inside, then rolled up and in a little sleeve to eat. Got a pic so you'll have to check it out. It was delish! Then we showered and changed, thinking that we were going with a sister who was having a get-together. After we all were ready to go we found out that they didn't think we were coming and they cancelled it. Hahaha. So we tried to go to a place to go dancing but it was closed for a wedding, so we ended up just going home. Hahaha.
Monday we got up late, ate breakfast, and sat around a little bit talking before we left. Left Coatza around 1. The drive back we didn't have as much fog in the mountains and I was able to appreciate the great views. Everything went great through the mountains and we got onto the stretch of highway closer in to Puebla....then we hit traffic. No joke...stopped, moving maaaaybe every 2 or 3 minutes one car length. It was HORRIBLE!!! We were there for at least 2 hours. All because they decided to cut it down from 2 lanes to 1 on one of the main highways the last day of an extended weekend! URGH!!! Add to that the fact that it's a "cuota" or "toll" highway. I couldn't believe it. We really take for granted the highways in the states, especially when you consider that when we pay tolls we thing maybe 1-4 dollars, with them mainly being like $1.50. Here they can be $10 US at a single toll-booth for a normal car! Just the tolls from here to Coatza, a typically 6-hour drive, were like $50 US. I was stunned. Anyway...after we got out of the traffic and were like aaah finally we realized we were running on reserve and looking madly for a gas station. I was seriously praying that Jehovah keep us safe, since we were on a stretch of highway in the middle of nowhere practically, and it was dark. Not like you've got AAA or wreckers driving by every 10 minutes. We finally found one though and I couldn't help but give a prayer of thanksgiving. Seriously!!! The rest of the drive home was fine. I got dropped off first and it was about 9 by that time.
I really enjoyed this weekend getaway. It was nice to be able to wear shorts and a tank top in public hahaha. I can't remember the last time I could do that. Here in Puebla it's typically not warm enough, at least while I've been here, plus it's one of the many places in Mexico where it's kinda looked strangely upon to wear shorts in public. I felt so alive!!! Shorts or a skirt and a tank top with flip-flops is so me. Also felt great to go to the beach, another me thing. Nice to be in a swimsuit feeling the sun, the sand, the water. Aaa...a much needed relaxer/recharge. Kind of a reminder of the stuff I love to do but haven't been able to in a long time for multiple reasons.
Today went well at school. On the way home I did my typical Tuesday--trip to Chedraui, came home and cooked. Did a load of laundry. Might have liked to have done more, but I suppose it's good that I have rested some. Kim won't be going to the meeting today, but I'm looking forward to seeing the brothers and sisters again. Missed my Jules especially. :-) Well, I guess I should prolly do a few things before getting ready for the meeting. Love yous guys!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment