Saturday, August 27, 2011

First Impressions

So yesterday I bought a bus ticket and came to Puebla. Took the ADO line and didn't have any problems. I was a little worried about my baggage, especially since I had to put my duffle bag with my laptop in it under the bus, but in the end everything turned out just fine. I got here and waited for the sister in the bus station and while I waited I went ahead and bought me a SIM card from Movistar that has the Puebla area code. The lady there was nice--she registered it with her CURP and activated everything for me. So then the sister found me and we left and on the way home she stopped to do a few short errands and all the while we were talking. It was great! We stopped at a store on the way to get a few food items that I like so I'd be taken care of and then got to her family's house and ate a little snackie. It's so nice when the brotherhood can support each other and even though you've never even met someone, just spoken with them on the phone, you feel completely comfortable trusting in Jehovah that it will be ok and you can spend the night at their house. It is so beautiful--something you only see when you "widen out" as we are commanded to do, leaving our comfort zone of our home congregation. So today was my first day in service in an English congregation in Mexico and it went well I guess. I got to know some of the 33 publishers in the congregation and I got to know a little about how they go in service. First round is census, asking in each house if anybody there speaks english or know of someone who does. If so, they get written down on a referral sheet which is like a return visit even though you may or may not have spoken directly with that person. Second round is go back and try to verify that that person lives at whatever address and that they speak english and preach to them if you haven't already. Then from there on you can more seriously do a personal return visit and or study. Then in the afternoon we came back to the house and I was able to call my mentor and also my director guy to let them know I got here safely and see when we want to meet up to figure out better details about when I start, where, what I do etc. Supposedly Thursday we're going to meet. Then I went with Ester(the sister who picked me up) to teach english to some District overseer and his wife. It was really nice. Then on the way home she took me to the Centro Historico and showed me a little, giving me a little historical info along the way. It seems to me that in Mexican history they are a lot more honest about perspectives than in the US where they try to change things to give a good impression of everything and to hide mistakes or basically not represent things the way they really are. I don't know, maybe it just seems that way from the little I have heard. Anyway, I should prolly get to bed. I'm going to go in service in the morning with Coco, Ester's sister, who goes to the Spanish here with their dad. So I'm going to svc in the morning then coming back, studying the WT and then going to the English meeting. So yah, I better rest. PS...check my MSN or FB or pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment