Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Arrived in Mexico City
So after two suitcases at exactly 50.0 lbs, a humongous duffel that they ended up checking due to full overhead bins, getting a soda spilled on my legs by the guy next to me, then lugging all that to a taxi, I arrived safely to my hotel here in Mexico City. I had just enough time to take out just about all the stuff in my suitcases and REPACK them so that I could actually feel some sense of organization. Since I was afraid they might lose a bag I made sure to distribute a variety of things to each bag, making it a nightmare to find something in particular. I have to say though, I am very proud of how efficient I was in my use of such limited space. I feel like I was able to bring a lot of stuff that other people couldn't fit. They had a reception thingy I had to go to at 7 and I was hoping there would be food--clarify...ACTUAL food. Turned out it was just drinks(yes alcoholic and non) and appetizers--very limited at that. I was surprised by my not being very hungry though. For some reason when I travel I don't get as hungry. Anyway, the reception was like a meet-and-greet for the ETAs(English Teaching Assistants), Binational Business folks, and the actual research grantees that will be in Mexico. I discovered through talking to different people that the Mexican Consulate in Houston really was wrong in telling me I only needed what they gave me on the plane with regard to visas. I was supposed to get a full criminal background check from the Houston police department and take all kinds of stuff the the mexican consulate in order to get a visa from them put into my US passport. When I figured out that other people had that I went "OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!". I talked to Claudia here from COMEXUS(one of the companies I'm considered a semi-employee of) and she said it shouldn't be a problem, that we can resolve it all Friday. I have a visa from the plane for 6 months as it stands, so as long as by the end of those 6 months I leave the country once and come back in, I can stay another 6 months. Haha. Anyway, I still haven't heard anything from my mentor in Puebla so I'm hoping the lady I emailed from Comexus will start a fire under their hiney...I NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING!!! Somebody is supposed to pick me up or somehow arrange transport for me from here to Puebla on Monday and I have heard squat, diddly, zilch, nada! But, I'm doing well aside from that, just trusting in Jehovah that things will work out fine. I have a sister lined up to stay with in Puebla when I get there--however I end up getting there--so that's reassuring. That reminds me, I need to make some phone calls. Better get to that while the internet looks half-decent signal. Love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment